Sample Chapter – Indiana’s First Railroad

The Indiana Sesquicentennial Commission dedicated a marker on July 3 1966 in Shelbyville, Indiana, on the site of the first railroad built west of the Allegheny Mountains. Judge W. J. Peasley, one of the early settlers in Shelby County, during the early part of the year 1834, built a road one and one-half miles long just east of Shelbyville, consisting of wooden ties and rails, on which the cars were drawn by horse power. Continue reading Sample Chapter – Indiana’s First Railroad

Sample Chapter – September 15, 1849 – Charter Granted to Madison’s Fair Play Fire Company Number One

Platted in 1809, Madison had no fire company until 1821, when local citizens formed the United Volunteer Fire Company. City officials decided to create a paid fire company in 1826. This company lasted less than a year and the project was abandoned. Many of the former members of the original United Volunteer Fi Continue reading Sample Chapter – September 15, 1849 – Charter Granted to Madison’s Fair Play Fire Company Number One

Sample Chapter – Carnegie Libraries in Indiana

Construction on the Goshen Carnegie Library commenced after the approval of the grant of $15,000 was announced in January 1901. After interviewing five architectural firms, Goshen officials chose the firm of Patton, Fisher & Miller from Chicago. The firm designed a Beaux-Arts style building and used Bedford limestone to cover the 1 1/2 story building. It has a red tile roof. Goshen officials managed to convince the Carnegie Foundation to increase the grant to $25,000, which was the final cost of construction. Local citizens dedicated the building at the corner of Washington and Fifth Streets on January 15, 1903. The National Register of Historic Places listed the building on January 2, 1983. the Indiana Historic Commission has placed an historic marker at the building’s location. Continue reading Sample Chapter – Carnegie Libraries in Indiana